Tech support after Thursday’s maintenance (Feb 7, 2019).

Updated on January 13, 2022 at 4:03pm GMT+0000 in Tech Issues, Updates, How-To.. For This Forum
19 on February 8, 2019 at 1:37am GMT+0000

Cha-cha-cha-changes! This forum is getting some upgrades and a slightly different look in the next few days!

The site will show the header and footer of the regular foodnsport.com site right away on computers, later on for mobile.

KNOWN ISSUES:

MOBILE MENU:

Despite extensive testing and emulations, an unforeseen issue with the navigation menu on some mobile devices has been discovered now.

Affected devices will see an unresponsive mobile menu fully expanded covering the entire screen when arriving to the site. Fortunately, you should be able to swipe up to get to the content below the navigation until we have that fixed. If you see what appears to be a blank page, try swiping up to see if the content is below your initial view.

Reading posts and replying to them seems unaffected, however posting new topics or navigating to other areas of the site may be problematic until we have it resolved. There is a new update from the people who distribute the code that this site runs on, and it does make the mobile experience much better, however it makes the desktop experience worse, so I will not be installing that version until either they or I can fix those issues in that update. We are “on it” but I’m not sure how long it will take.

Until we have the next update ready, when using a mobile device it may be easiest to just request the desktop site via your mobile browser and use the site that way. If you aren’t familiar with doing this, please see this thread: https://foodnsport.com/the801010forum/thread/using-the-desktop-version-on-mobile-devices/ 

LOGINS VIA SOCIAL MEDIA:
If you use your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts to log into this forum, and have trouble signing in with those credentials, you may need to re-link them to the new address: foodnsport.com/the801010forum.

QUESTIONS? COMMENTS?
Reply to this thread if you are having trouble logging in through your social media credentials, have further information about an issue, or a new issue, so that this may serve as a FAQ for any of that.

If you are unable to post to this thread, and somehow able to read this post, please use the contact us form at https://foodnsport.com/contact

I would truly appreciate it if you would let me know if you are experiencing any other technical issues to address. Please include the details of what is happening and at what point, as well as any temporary work-arounds that you discover.

We hope to have everything working better than ever as soon as possible, and appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Aloha!

-Janie 🙂 

P.S. I will edit this as things change, and respond to discussions below.

1 on March 10, 2019 at 7:56pm GMT+0000

UPDATE:   

I have created a new category for tech support at: https://foodnsport.com/the801010forum/thread_category/tech/ and created a new sticky post for people to find it.   

This topic thread can be found there and will no longer be sticky, but still active.
Another update is available which will improve the mobile experience greatly, however “out of the box” from the distribution it also makes replying to replies impossible from the desktop site as well and has other bugs… so until they fix that release, release another version, or I modify it to fix it, we will be sticking with this one.    

After the next update I will be coding some modifications to allow a couple of preference options for people that I think we all will like.   

Aloha! 🙂

• Liked by
Cancel
on January 13, 2022 at 4:03pm GMT+0000

Janie, your formatting looks great in the beginnings of this topic, but line breaks begin to disappear later on.  Curious on how to code this.  I tried both HTML and BBcode with no luck. Who is the original developer of this forum?  Thought they might have some tips.  Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Show more replies
2 on February 12, 2019 at 6:51am GMT+0000

Mobile menu issue for most phones should be fixed by the end of Tuesday. From what Kay has reported, it may not help iPhones. If you have an iPhone, and are interested in helping solve the issues by testing solutions on a test site, please let me know and I’ll be in touch.

• Liked by
Cancel
on March 8, 2019 at 8:29pm GMT+0000

Thanks Ivan.

I will be doing another update in the coming weeks, and if what I am given doesn’t address that I will try to include something to help that issue. I have noticed some quirks with this version and caching in similar ways: clicking on a thread before signing in will disallow viewing it after signing in if you don’t refresh the page before signing in; and not allowing more than one reply to the same topic without refreshing the page between replies.

on March 8, 2019 at 4:07am GMT+0000

Just a heads up, I didn’t login for about a week and I had to clear my cached files to view the threads. It happened on my phone and my laptop.

Show more replies
5 on February 15, 2019 at 11:51pm GMT+0000

Hi Janie, since the upgrade I am no longer receiving email notifications that I have replies to my forum questions, whereas before I would get them reliably.

• Liked by
Cancel
on February 17, 2019 at 11:55pm GMT+0000

Jooley, I’ve looked into it and I don’t see anything going on with your account or our email notifications that would be stopping it… but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a glitch or change of settings that changes the behavior..it does mean I’m not finding it. I have another idea though.

Please look in your SPAM folder (or similar) as the messages sometimes end up there, especially since they’re coming from a different place than before, and the more active the forum and their threads are, the more messages that get sent, which makes it more likely to be automatically flagged as spam.

Some email searches skip searching SPAM folders (like gmail, for instance). I actually recently discovered quite a few messages from here in my SPAM folder, including a few private messages–which I will respond to soon! 🙂 

To reduce the automatic placement in SPAM folders, you might try white-listing us (by whatever methods you prefer). See below for a couple of suggestions, and ask me for step by step directions for the email app you use if you need tech support on this.

Email notifications at this point should be coming from the following email: forumbb@foodnsport.com Some may come from support@foodnsport.com still for a while. The first one is best when it relates to the forum, as the other one is more generic about anything. So, you could add the email address to your contacts, but it may not catch private messages. When a private message is sent it comes from the sender’s email address connected with their profile here.

Any email from the forum should have a subject line that includes this text in it: 80/10/10 Diet Forum. Actually, the body of the message probably will too. This allows you to set up filters (if you want) to route emails that has the words “80/10/10 Diet Forum” to never be sent to SPAM, and/or to some other email folder you use. 

Hope that helps! And please, let me know if that doesn’t resolve the issue.

Aloha!

-Janie 🙂

on February 17, 2019 at 10:21pm GMT+0000

Thank you!

on February 17, 2019 at 4:44pm GMT+0000

Yes, Cristóbal, notifications are sent based on whether you are “following” a thread. It usually automatically sets you to follow thread topics you started or commented on.

If in doubt look for the “follow” or “unfollow” links at the top of the thread topic, and click it to adjust it how you like.

If it says “follow” you will not get emails, and if it says “unfollow” you should be getting emails of new posts. Clicking one will activate what it says (and change the text accordingly).

on February 17, 2019 at 4:27pm GMT+0000

Hi. Is there a way to stop receiving those email notifications? I don’t really need them…  Thank you.

on February 17, 2019 at 12:00am GMT+0000

Good to know. Thanks. I’ll look into it. 🙂

Show more replies
4 on February 13, 2019 at 5:57am GMT+0000

Hi Janie

For your information I have been unsuccessful at logging using my old username and password on both my computer and mobile so have had to rejoin as a new member.

I sent a message a few days ago to the email in your post regarding this but have not received a reply which is why I have rejoined.

• Liked by
Cancel
on February 14, 2019 at 10:24pm GMT+0000

Hi RCG. I have emailed you at the address attached to the most used account to see if I’ve got the right person before resetting the password. Let me know here if you didn’t get it, please.

on February 14, 2019 at 12:03pm GMT+0000

Hi Janie

Thank you for replying.

In response to your questions:

I tried logging in via Facebook and via account username and password to no avail hence creating a new account. I received no evil regarding verification, only a notice on this site when trying to post once logged in. 

I’m not sure the hotmail account was mine but the googlemail one was. I usually logged in via Facebook and the account I’d prefer to use it the googlemail.com one as it has been the most active and current was previously logged into via that social media platform. Please contact me at the gmail.com / googlemail.com account please so I can continue under with most active and up to date account.  If this is not possible, or is too complicated then I can always start anew under the RCG profile.

The email I sent the issue to was the requested one in your original post above : https://foodnsport.com/contact

I hope this answers all you questions. Let me know if you require any additional information or clarification. I appreciate your efforts in resolving this. 

on February 13, 2019 at 7:56pm GMT+0000

Thanks for letting me know about this. Sorry you have had these troubles. Let’s see if I can help, first it will help me to clarify what’s going on and has happened. 

About your logging in… the request for verification could have been a couple of things. I’m not clear whether your sign-in that you’re having trouble with is via linked Facebook sign-in or an account username and password set up here. If you’re re-linking Facebook, you’ll need to verify that in your Facebook account… but it should be sending you there to do so. If you created or changed something on your account you might have been sent a verification email from here to confirm it. Either way, you would need to verify in order to complete it, just like when you create a new account. 

RCG: I see three accounts with first and last names associated with the account similar to this account:

• this RCG account with a Facebook account “Joined Feb 12, 2019” (yesterday)
  • account with email account @hotmail.com “Joined May 28, 2015” with no threads started
  • account with email account @googlemail.com with many threads started, says “Joined Feb 13, 2019” (today), however there are posts from before then, so I’m thinking you may have found a verification email and clicked it today? That could have reset the joined date

Are any or all of the other two yours? I can contact you at one of those email addresses to reset the password if necessary.
     About the email you sent from our contact page…. which department did you pick to send your email to? I only get the ones sent to the one about the forum (80/10/10 Forum account support), and I haven’t seen it, which would be something I need to fix, and appreciate being alerted. If you picked a different department, it may have gone to someone else. Do you remember which you picked? 

Thanks again! 🙂

on February 13, 2019 at 6:06am GMT+0000

Hi Janie

For your information I have been unsuccessful at logging using my old username and password on both my computer and mobile so have had to rejoin as a new member. The problem I had was it would show that I was logged in but when I tried to reply to a post or start a new one a message came up saying I needed to verify my account. It gave me no options or information how to do this. I re-entered my Facebook address etc and then tried logging in via both social media and manually by entering my username and password but had no success either.

I sent a message a few days ago to the email in your post regarding this but have not received a reply which is why I have rejoined.

Show more replies
1 on February 12, 2019 at 6:53am GMT+0000

Mobile menu issue should be fixed by the end of Tuesday.

• Liked by
Cancel
on February 13, 2019 at 8:00pm GMT+0000

Nope, sorry. I’m rethinking that change based upon some testing by others on the testing site. I am “on it” … but for now the forum is best used via a computer.

Show more replies
0 on February 8, 2019 at 4:13pm GMT+0000

Pretty!!   🙂

• Liked by
Cancel