Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
Published: Mon, 08 May 2016
Savory mushrooms stuffed with a variety of chopped vegetables and herbs.
Ingredients (Adjust amounts and proportions to taste):
Cabbage: 2 Cups chopped
Zucchini: 2 medium
Cocktail Tomato: 1 small
Carrot: 1 pound
Mushrooms: 10-15 large
Italian Seasoning: 1 Tbsp. dried (optional)
or minced fresh*:
oregano, 1 teaspoon
basil, 1 Tbsp.
thyme, 1 teaspoon
margoram, 1 teaspoon
savory (Winter or Summer), 1 teaspoon
rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon
sage, 1/4 teaspoon
food processor with S-blade
platter and/or plates for serving
*if not using dehydrator, decrease portions of fresh herbs to taste
- Chop carrots into same sized pieces and process in the food processor using the S-blade. The texture wants to be almost as fine rice. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Chop the celery and process until it is a similar size as carrots after processing with S-blade. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- S-blade the tomatoes until you have a chunky slurry. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- De-stem mushrooms and chop stems. Transfer chopped stems to mixing bowl along with Italian herbs.
- Mix all three processed ingredients with italian herbs and chopped mushroom stems.
- Using your hands, squeeze out a portion of the stuffing from mixing bowl to stuff mushrooms. Squeeze the stuffing mixture a bit before stuffing each mushroom to drain excess moisture.
- (optional) Place in the dehydrator for 4-6 hours at about 125 degrees. Be careful not to over-dry the mushrooms.
Supplies and Equipment:Dehydrators